Unit # 11
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
Q1: What are gene and genetics?
Ans: Genes are the subunits of DNA the information database of any organism that is contained inside the cell nucleus. Genes transmit character traits of parents to their offsprings. Genetics is the study of genes, genetic variation and heredity in living organisms.
Q2: Why is the discovery of a gene called a game-changer in biological sciences?
Ans: The discovery of genes is called a game-changer in biological sciences because it led to the development of genetic and the process of genetic engineering through which genetically modified plants and animals are produced.
Q3: What is genetic engineering? What role does genetic engineering play in producing genetically modified organisms?
Ans: Genetic engineering is the process of manipulation of an organism’s genes directly by transplanting DNA from other organisms in its cells. Genetically modified organisms are produced through this process having the desired traits.
Q4: Question skipped
Q5: Write at least two merits and two demerits of GMOs?
Ans: Two merits of GMOs are:
- Eradication of hereditary disease.
- Increase resistance to diseases.
Two demerits of GMOs are:
- The unpredictability of the behaviour of altered genes.
- GMOs may take some unwanted characteristics causing harm to our health environment or ecosystem.
Q6: What is your opinion will be the effect of GMOs on our lives, lifestyle and environment in the future?
Ans: Although GMOs have made our lives easy and comfortable, they have some dangerous effects. The unpredictability of the behaviour of altered genes, unwanted characteristics, health problems, population problems etc is some of the concerns about GMOs which may harm the ecosystem and human health.
Q7: Have you ever used genetically modified foods? Give suggestions & solutions for the safe use of genetically modified foods?
Ans: Yes, I have used genetically modified foods. I have the following suggestions and solutions for the safe use of GMOs.
- To test the feasibility of GMO, for any potential risk.
- Quality of the product should be ensured.
- Avoid processed foods in general.
- Avoid factory-farmed animals products.
B. Choose the correct options.
1. (d) Genes 2. (a) A point in a chain of events …… 3. (a) Fact
4. (d) Argumentative 5. (d) A few decades ago control of genes in living org…