Poem 4 They have cut down the pines Mary lisle
Poem 4 They have cut down Stanza 1:
- They have cut down the pines where they stood;
- The wind will miss them——— the rain,
- When its silver blind is down.
- They have stripped the bark from the wood—
- They needy boughs, and the brown
- Knobby nuts trod into the ground.
Q1: Why were the pines cut down?
Ans: The pines were cut down to make a fence by the creek.
Q2: Who will miss the pines?
Ans: The rain and wind will miss the pines.
Q3: Who has stripped the bark from the wood?
Ans: They (People) have stripped the bark from the wood.
Q4: Where were the boughs and knobby nuts lying?
Ans: The boughs and knobby nuts were lying on the ground.
Q5: What is meant by “Trodden”?
Ans: Trodden means Trampled or crushed.
Poem 4 They have cut down Stanza 2:
- The kind and friendly trees,
- Where all day small winds sound,
- And all day long the sun
- Plays hide and seek with shadows
- Till the multiplying shadows turn to one
- And the night is here.
Q1: How trees are our friends?
Ans: Trees are our kind friend because they provide us wood, shade, and fruit.
Q2: Who plays hide and seek with the shadows?
Ans: The sun plays hide and seek with the shadows all day long.
Q3: The multiple shadows turn into what?
Ans: The multiple shadows turn into night.
Q4: What is the name of this poem?
Ans: The name of this poem is “They have cut down the pines”.
- They have cut down the trees and ended now
- The gentle colloquy of bough and bough.
- They are making a fence by the creek,
- And have cut down the pines for the posts.
- Wan in the sunlight for ghost
- The naked trunks lie.
- A bird nested there——- it will seek
- In vain: they have cut down the pines.
Q1: Why the trees ended now?
Ans: The trees ended now because the people have cut down them.
Q2: What is meant by the word “colloquy”?
Ans: The word colloquy means Conversation.
Q3: Where were they making the fence?
Ans: They were making the fence by the creek out of the pine’s trees.
Q4: What is meant by the word “wan”?
Ans: The word wan means looking pale and weak.
Q5: For what the bird was searching for?
Ans: The bird was searching for his nest.
Q6: Who wrote this poem?
Ans: Mary lisle wrote this poem.
Poem 4 They have cut down Class 10 English Notes
- Unit 1 Class 10 English Notes: Simplicity and Humility of Hazrat Muhammad SAW
- Unit 03 Poem Dreams Langston Hughes
- Unit 02 The Champions Class 10 English Notes
- Unit 6 In Spite of War Angela Morgan English NotesClass 10
- Unit 07 The Aged Mother English Notes Class 10
- Unit 05 “The Great Masjid of Cordoba & Iqbal” Class 10 Notes
- Unit 13 Hazrat Umar (RA) Class 10 English Notes
- Paraphrases of Poems Dreams Class 10 English Notes
- Paraphrases of Poem 2 In Spite of War Class 10 English Notes
- Paraphrases of Poems 3 Equipment Class 10 English Notes
- Stanza Comprehension Poem 1 Dreams Langston Hughes
- Comprehension Poem 2 In Spite of War Class 10